Where can I go?

Where to travel, some do’s and don’ts

The ultimate reason to rent a 4WD campervan is to explore the outback on unsealed roads, off the beaten track. However, you must remember that you are not permitted to drive your vehicle off gazetted roads – that means not listed on a map or maintained by council.

Permission required for remote areas or islands

Some roads may become impassable during extreme weather conditions or any other safety concern. Therefore, for some remote areas or islands, access is only permitted by a 4WD campervan with prior permission of WA EXPERTS. 

We reserve the right at our sole discretion to restrict your trip to certain areas. This also applies for access to an island when your journey includes a ferry crossing.

For your own safety, you will be updated on the current road conditions at the moment you start your journey. Permission will only be considered if applied for at time of booking and can be withdrawn at the time of pickup. For some areas you will need a permit, we are happy to assist you in arranging these.

Only with prior permission may you travel to:
  • Any island
  • Kangaroo Island (SA)
  • The station access road to Red Bluff on Quobba station (WA)
  • The Holland Track (WA)
  • Bungle Bungles (WA)
  • Cape Leveque (WA)
  • Kalumburu Road (WA)
  • Warburton Road (WA)
  • Oodnadatta Track (SA)
  • Birdsville Track (SA)
  • Simpson Desert (NT, SA)
  • Tanami Track (NT, WA)
  • Gibb River Road (NT, WA)
  • Plenty Highway (NT)
  • Finke Road (NT)
  • Central Arnhem Road (NT)
  • Arnhem Land in general (NT)
  • Gunbarrel Highway (WA, NT)
  • Any other remote areas
Road Sign Warnings
Road Sign, Exmouth WA
Where can I go? 1
Free Guide to Driving in WA

A road trip through remote WA is an amazing experience that you will never forget. To ensure your safety during your travels, the Western Australian Road Safety Commission has released this free booklet.

Where can I go? 2